Administrator Access Required
Before you use the Invoice module, your Administrator will need to set up the following settings;
- Invoices settings - to establish your defaults
- Price Points settings - to establish markup amounts
- Work Orders settings - to enable auto-invoice generation
- Navigate to Settings > Module Settings > Invoices.
- Click the General tab.
These are the default values used when creating new invoices.
- Billable Labor Rate: Set the default labor rate that should be used on customer invoices, unless otherwise specified on particular tasks.
Price Points are the most critical aspect of the Invoices. It sets the difference between your expenses, and what your customer is asked to pay.
- Navigate to Settings > Libraries > Price Points.
- Each Price Point can establish the customers:
- Parts Markup Percentage (%)
- Displays the % increase over what was listed on the Work Order
- Labor / Service Hourly Rate ($)
- Sets the Customer's Hourly Labor rate charged for each service performed on the work order
- If nothing is entered, the invoice will default back to the Billable Labor Rate listed in the Invoice Settings Defaults
- Start Date / End Date
- Sets the length of the markup. Price Point will not expire if the end date is left empty
- Apply this price point to all sites
- If you have more than one Site/Entity, you can apply the price point to all, or choice which sites should be included
- If Price Points are the rules, these are the exceptions
- Establish an exception labor rate OR a fixed amount to be charged for a particular labor/service
- Establish an exception part markup % OR a fixed amount to be charged for a particular part used
Price Point Exceptions
When there are exceptions that come up, then return to the settings and add these in and any price point can be linked back to a customer. Whenever you complete a customer work order, it will generate the invoice at their Price Point markup percentage.
- Navigate to Customers.
- Select a customer record.
- Select that customer record's Sites tab. It will list each site the customer needs to appear on.
- From the Default Price Point drop-down, select the price point. This is especially important if that customer's price point is different than the default for that Site/Entity.
Work Order Settings
- Navigate to Settings > Module Settings > Work Orders.
- Select the Work Type tab.
The Work Order Settings displays.
Look at the list of Work Types, and decide which ones need to be eligible to generate Invoices.
- From the Work Type drop-down, select the work type.
- For the Do you invoice for this Work Type? toggle, switch the setting to Yes.
- Click the Save button.
When you enable this it will create an invoice when the work order is completed.
When this is enabled then this does NOT mean every work order under this work type will create an invoice. For it to generate an invoice, a completed work order must have two things:
- Work Type that is set for Invoices
- Have a Customer attached
If it doesn't have both, the work order will simply close without generating an invoice.
Now you are ready
Now you can start closing work orders with work types authorized to generate invoices.